October is a wonderful time of year, especially if you love a good fright every now and then. For your kids, it’s an even more fun time of year thanks to the tradition of trick-or-treating. If you and your family are planning on going out on Halloween, whether it be for trick-or-treating or heading to a costume party, keep these handy Halloween safety tips in mind.
- When driving through residential areas, use extreme caution. Kids are excited and will not always act predictably.
- Take extra time at intersections to look for kids.
- Drive slowly when entering or exiting your driveway.
- Put away any potential distractions in your car so you can focus on your driving.
- Always cross the street at corners and use crosswalks, if available.
- Look both ways before you cross and continue to look as you walk.
- Put away your phone and stay alert as you cross the street.
- Show your children how to make eye contact with drivers before you cross in front of them.
- Walk on the sidewalks, if available. If you don’t have any sidewalks, walk facing traffic and stay to the far left.
- Wear regular shoes so you don’t trip over your feet.
- Add reflective tape to your costume or carry glow sticks to make yourself more visible.
- Use makeup and paint in place of masks for better visibility.
Have fun out there, and from your friends at Urka Auto Center, have a happy, happy Halloween!